Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Purple Podded Pea
All our seeds are grown organically in Australia -> What makes our seeds special?
- Nothing beats the taste of snow peas in winter, and these bright purple peas with stunning pink and maroon flowers are one of our favourites! The pretty pink and maroon flowers rival any sweet pea flower and light up the garden.
- This is a vigorous and prolifically producing variety. Sow a new batch every month for a continuous supply over the cooler months.
- Uses: Best eaten as a pea i.e. leave to mature on the vine until the pods swell, then shell the outside and enjoy the fresh pea inside. While tasty raw, we prefer it stir fried with garlic or steamed.
- Size: This is a tall snow pea – grows to 2m+. It will need a tall trellis, or be planted against a shed wall, fence or why not try a living teepee? TIP: Pinch out growing shoots before your pea has reached the top of your trellis to encourage it to branch out. Great in large pots or grow bags.
- Sowing: Snow peas produce better in cooler weather. Plant direct in your garden bed in autumn, winter or spring, or sow in individual punnets and plant out once seedlings are of a good size. Young seedlings will need protection from snails and slugs. Check out our corn seed sowing guide for a free and easy trick for sowing into individual punnets.
- Planting: If growing in cooler months, plant in full sun. If growing in warmer months they can grow happily in part-shade. Snow peas need good air flow between them to avoid fungal issues so don’t space seeds too close together. Space seeds around 10-15cm apart. Peas fix nitrogen from the atmosphere so don’t need a lot of fertiliser added, but do appreciate a soil enriched with compost, worm castings and gentle manures (cow, sheep, horse).
Please note seeds can be shipped across Australia, but due to quarantine restrictions we cannot ship seed to WA or Tasmania.
Out of stock