Sweet Pea (Pinks and Purples)
All our seeds are grown organically in Australia -> What makes our seeds special?
- What would spring be without the delirious scent of sweet peas? This pack contains a mix of pinks, purples and mauves, that are so frilly and glow in your garden.
- Keep cutting your flowers and don’t let them set seed – you’ll have endless vases of sweet peas to brighten up any table or to share with friends and family.
- Size: This is a tall sweet pea – grows to 1.5m tall. It will need a tall trellis or plant it against a shed wall, fence or why not try a living teepee? TIP: Pinch out growing shoots before your pea has reached the top of your trellis to encourage it to branch out. Great in large pots or grow bags.
- Sowing: Sweet peas are best planted in autumn, but you can also plant in winter and spring. Plant direct (in autumn or spring) or sow in individual punnets and plant out once seedlings are of a good size. In winter you will need to sow indoors in individual punnets, as seed will rot in cold wet conditions. This is in fact ou preferred way to sow almost all seed. Check out our corn seed sowing guide for a free and easy trick for sowing into individual punnets. Young seedlings will need protection from snails and slugs.
- Planting: If growing in cooler months, plant in full sun. If growing in warmer months they can grow happily in part-shade. Sweet peas need good air flow between them to avoid fungal issues so don’t space seeds too close together. Space seeds around 15-20cm apart. Peas fix nitrogen from the atmosphere so don’t need a lot of fertiliser added, but do appreciate a soil enriched with compost, worm castings and gentle manures (cow, sheep, horse).